[Bins] .spec file for producing an RPM

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 19 21:59:58 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 03:58, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> The 10.0 package is 1.1.25-2mdk, and it installs all templates
> correctly: joi, jab, default, satyap

Hmm... ok.  And marc, and petrus?

> It's evil to suggest people to use self-made rpms instead of official
> ones. And it is evil to fork existing work. If you have corrections to
> do, suggest them to the maintainer rather.

Whatever.  I guess you just don't understand.  I think it is evil to hold
on to a .spec file instead of making it available in the tarball so people
can make fresh rpms if they want to do it more quickly than the
maintainer or distribution does.  The last few releases of Mandrake
all have broken drivers for my scanner.  If it weren't for making my
own RPM's I'd still be stuck using Mandrake 8.2.

> > I added a directory in the tarball called "rpm", and put a bins.spec
> > file in it, then make a src rpm so that I at least can keep it around and
> > not lose it the next time a new tarball comes out.
> >
> > I would like to offer the modified .spec file...  I doubt that Mandrake
> > would mind, but I guess I could ask the package maintainer to be
> > sure.
>
> I am the maintainer of the mdk bins package...

Yes, I recognized the name before I even read the e-mail.  It is
unfortunate that making a spec file available to the community
is met with such resentment.  With the unwarranted accusation
of "evil", one certainly is not encouraged that the maintainer
will be at all cooperative.  By the way, I had no intention of
forking the .spec file if someone said they would include it.
Perhaps you made an unfortunate assumption?

Kevin Bulgrien