[Bins] Orientation

Jérôme SAUTRET jerome at sautret.org
Tue Mar 11 23:22:21 GMT 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:32:06PM -0500, Scott Lambert wrote:
> I am probably just being dense here but I haven't been able to get bins
> to automatically rotate destination images.

> My camera doesn't have the accelerometer to know which way is up so I
> have to edit the .xml file manualy.

Your camera don't have a manual rotation function ? On some
cameras, this set the correct exif value.

> The best I have been able to puzzle out of the man page:
>
> "If a user wants to override the EXIF values and provide a replacement
> (such as a corrected Orientation or an Owner setting that reflects who
> you loaned the camera to) adding a priority attribute with a value of
> "1" will prevent bins from replacing it with the value in the image."
>
> Tells me that I need the following in image.jpg.xml:
>
> image.jpg.xml:
> <snip>
>    <exif priority="1">
> <snip>
>       <tag name="Orientation">
>          bottom_left
>       </tag>
> <snip>
>    </exif></image>
>
> However, the Orientation setting is being changed back to top_left by
> bins.  I think I have probably mis-interpreted the man page and need a
> lesson in XML jargon.

The doc is probably not clear on this point. You need to add a
priority attribute on the <tag> tag, not the <exif> one :

<snip>
   <exif>
<snip>
      <tag name="Orientation" priority="1">
         bottom_left
      </tag>
<snip>
   </exif>
</image>

(I'm not sure about the meaning of the <snip> tag ;-)

Note that you can also use bins-edit-gui to do that automatically.

--
Jérôme SAUTRET (Jerome at SAUTRET.org)           http://SAUTRET.org
Key 0x95D463F3 fingerprint 3B69 3B60 4D32 B8DF 2BF3 8035 5036 D41A 95D4 63F3