[Alt-sheff-organising-group] Potential new volunteer (PLEASE READ: Ta)

Alt-Sheff Collective contact at alt-sheff.org
Wed Jan 7 07:12:08 GMT 2015

Hello everyone,

Someone emailed with a few notes about links on the website not
working, so I replied to say thanks and apologies our "Links" page
needs a bit of work to update it - and he then said he could volunteer
to help on this. Trev is already planning to tackle this, but it's a
big job, so help could be good.

My thoughts are:

1. I haven't got any spare time at the moment; would one or two people
like to meet him and see if this will work? We should get back to him
within a few days...

2. We should try HARD NOT to have someone get involved and then prove
to be bad news. I'm not just defending my 'territory' here, I really
want to get more people working on the website's content. But I am
worried about getting someone not proficient, maybe who can't do
'plain English' so all their work needs checking which might cause bad
feeling. Or at the worst extreme they could be odd/weird/argumentative
people, or even infiltrators - Police or whatever (don't laugh, I know
I'm paranoid, but still it does happen).

3. I suggest the way round this is to have a recruitment process; this means:
(a) Make it clear that there is a selection process: they DON'T
automatically 'get the job' just because they have volunteered.
(b) Ask the potential recruit to fill in a form -
name/details/experience/why they want to help/and ask for references,
etc.
(c) If this looks OK, then agree a time to meet, informal interview,
(not in a pub or busy cafe) include some kind of test of their skill
in English, in computer use if possible, understanding of Alt-Sheff
and assessment of their motivation/politics, etc.
(d) Contact the referees
(e) Yes/No Decision by the sub-group involved
(f) Induction session/s

We have got a job description and person specification drafted - I
will attach a copy here.

Loads of best practice in recruitment procedures is online, I may have
missed one or two things in the above list.

Any thoughts / offers to go ahead with this, please?

Thanks a lot
Jonathan