[SlugBug] Debian etch + xterm + XIM

Minase lists at encapsulated.net
Wed Jan 18 10:21:47 GMT 2006

Hi,

Long shot here, but i'm asking in various places... i vaguely remember
someone in here uses Japanese too.

I usually use im-ja to handle Japanese input in GTK applications. It
also comes with `im-ja-xim-server` for use with non-GTK apps, which
i use with Xterm.
So im-ja-xim-server is running, my locale is en_GB.UTF-8, all fonts are
installed fine, and XMODIFIERS is set to '@im=im-ja-xim-server'. This
configuration has been working for months on my Debian laptop.

Then i did dist-upgrade to etch...
Now when i start Xterm, it spits out the following error:

  Preparation of font set "*" for XIM failed.
  Preparation of default font set "*" for XIM failed.

This looks like a general Xterm/X error, rather than something
specifically related to my XIM server... so maybe other people using
XIM in general have this problem also.
Googling for this the only results i could find were the source
code. I read the relevant sections, but never having done xlib stuff
with fonts i couldn't really see what was causing the problem.

minase at ayu:~]$ dpkg -l | grep xterm
ii  xterm      6.8.2.dfsg.1-11     X terminal emulator

<sigh> It seems every time i do apt-get upgrade something breaks. I
guess that's why it's called 'testing'... :)

Thanks for any suggestions,
 - Daniel