[SlugBug] Invitation to work with Pure Data (PD) in the Antarctic Data Jam

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Dec 22 06:45:44 GMT 2006

Fwd:

From: Derek <derek at techsys.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:37:47 +0000

Subject: Invitation to work with Pure Data (PD) in the Antarctic Data Jam
Hello from the Southend on Sea Linux User Group (SoSLUG)

Contact Name: Derek Shaw

I am writing to you to let you in on some exciting developments that
SoSLUG is working on, which will raise the profile of Linux and Open
Source Software from February next year 2007.

SoSLUG in conjunction with MediaShed and I-TASC (Interpolar
Transnational Art Science Constellation), have sent Weather Monitoring
equipment to the Antarctic to capture environmental data to be
transformed into sensational music that programmers and artists alike
can Jam to.

To do this we have acquired space at The MediaShed in Southend on Sea,
and The Junction in Cambridge to facilitate what will be known as an
Antarctic Data Jam.

SoSLUG has secured the following dates for the Antarctic Data Jam
performances and workshops:

MediaShed is East of England first Free Media Arts Centre
10th February 2007 - MediaShed Unit38 Grainger Road, Industrial Estate
Southend on Sea Essex SS2 5DD. Tel: 01702 460590

http://mediashed.org

The Junction is an Arts and Technology centre based in Cambridge
17th February 2007 â€" The Junction, Clifton Way, Cambridge, CB1 7GX.
Tel: 01223 511511

http://www.junction.co.uk

What is it about the Antarctic Data Jam that is relevant to Linux and
our user group?

We are running the Antarctic Data Jam completely on Linux and using Open
Source Software known as Pure Data (PD). PD as it is known is a rapid
application development tool that anyone who can draw, can use.

I have heard of Pure Data but don't know what flavour of Linux I should use?

PD will run in its basic format, on most any flavour of Linux, package
distributions are known to be available for Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo to
name but a few. There are also precompiled versions available as Live
CDs for Dyne::Bolic and Pure::Dyne.

Pure::Dyne is the most advanced and comes with all the gem libraries
necessary to create stunning visual art displays and audio processing.

How can I contribute with Antarctic Data Jam.

SoSLUG and MediaShed are looking for media artist's and programmers that
would like to push the boundaries of what has been achieved in the past
with this software, both audibly and visually to create an
exhilarating and inspired performance that we hope will shed a new light
on Linux and Open Source Software. SoSLUG will be running weekly evening
workshops to create PD patches to use at the Antarctic Data Jam
beginning in January next year 2007.

If you would like more information or wish to participate with this or
other projects SoSLUG is involved in please contact derek at techsys.co.uk
or call +44 0(1702) 460590. I could tell you a lot more about our
projects next year this is only happens to be one of them, if you want
to find out more please contact me.