[SlugBug] OpenOffice 2.x tarballs?

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Wed Dec 13 13:05:43 GMT 2006

And Lo! The Great Prophet " Daniel" uttered these words of wisdom:
> Hi,
>
>> know if I can get hold of a good solid down-to-earth tarball of
>> OpenOffice 2.1?
>
> Is that not what you get when you go to the official site, and follow
> the download links? It gives me a tar.gz file, but I don't want to
> download the whole thing to test it...

No it isn't - I thought it was at first and thought "huzzah!". However
when pulled down and extracted it contained about 15 to 20 RPM files.

> Converting an RPM is all very well and good, but you'll probably
> find it has less chance of working on another distro than the generic
> tarball they provide.

I think this is the closest they get to a "generic" tarball. Their
official instructions which I found basically tell you to run things
through rpm2cpio.

It's now installed, and it works, but at the cost of diskspace and my
patience...!

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson                 \