[SlugBug] newsreaders

Peter Collier pecb at nildram.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 16:27:20 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 12:29, Andy Davidson wrote:
> Peter Collier wrote:
> > I've been trying out pan and knode newsreaders. I was at a loss as
> > to how  to download and assemble files to be of use, so looked
> > around for tutorials. Pan manual not there and the kontact handbook
> > doesn't give any clues. Searching on the web so far only gives me
> > mswin propriety type tools that you have to pay for.
>
> Are you trying to use usenet for talking to people (i.e. taking part
> in a group to share information, get help, e.g. uk.comp.os.linux), or
> harvesting binaries of any kind (pictures, software, sounds, e.g.
> alt.binaries.warez.amiga) ?  The type of newsreader that you will
> need will differ to do each job effectively.
>
> If you're harvesting binaries, then ubh is good.  If you're trying to
> talk to people, I still find that slrn is the best choice, easy to
> use, very customisable, and powerful scoring features.
>

> Would you find a commercial news to mail service to be of any use ?
>
> cheers
> -a

To give you the full picture. I have loads of old vinyl records, many of
which date back to my youth (late 50's and the 60's). I've tried
programs like gramofile to get a digital copy but many of the records
are of an unacceptable sound quality by todays standards, even with
filtering options. I've found quite a few of these records on the
newsgroups. As the copywrite issued at the time of issue of these
records, allows you to make a copy for your own personal use (i.e. no
personal financial gain), unlike the copywrite of modern cd's which
prohibits copying of any kind, I would think I could legally download
these records, as I have the originals.
	I've seen gtk-gnutella, which would do the job but I wanted to have a
go at newsgroups, just for the experience/learning.
	I'll have a look at ubh thanks, not sure if I need a commercial one.

Peter C