[SlugBug] newsreaders

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sat Nov 26 12:29:14 GMT 2005

Peter Collier wrote:
> I've been trying out pan and knode newsreaders. I was at a loss as to
> how  to download and assemble files to be of use, so looked around for
> tutorials. Pan manual not there and the kontact handbook doesn't give
> any clues. Searching on the web so far only gives me mswin propriety
> type tools that you have to pay for.

Are you trying to use usenet for talking to people (i.e. taking part in
a group to share information, get help, e.g. uk.comp.os.linux), or
harvesting binaries of any kind (pictures, software, sounds, e.g.
alt.binaries.warez.amiga) ?  The type of newsreader that you will need
will differ to do each job effectively.

If you're harvesting binaries, then ubh is good.  If you're trying to
talk to people, I still find that slrn is the best choice, easy to use,
very customisable, and powerful scoring features.

Would you find a commercial news to mail service to be of any use ?

cheers
-a