[SlugBug] HTML special chars and databases?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon May 23 22:08:19 BST 2005

On 16 May 2005, at 13:51, Matthew Gray wrote:

> I've been wondering about this for a little while and wanted to get
> some opinions: When putting text into a database, for later display
> in a webpage, do you:
> a) Store the database field with the HTML special chars encoded -
> ie the field had & < > inside it.

Oof.  We do it this way :

  - Store no markup in the database whatsoever.
  - parse page logic pages through HTML::Template, a templating
engine which allows us to use lines in our page templates such as :

The perl which calls the template assigns the raw content to a 'tag'
named - in this case, 'BLAH'.  The template marks up the content (in
this case, just formats it into a standard paragraph) and escapes any
of the special characters in html.

A bit nicer, methinks !

Cheers
Andy