[SlugBug] Mandrake help needed...

James Wallbank james at lowtech.org
Fri Jun 10 18:03:32 BST 2005

Hi Chris,

There's no need for anyone to mail you a config file. You can rebuild
one for yourself. Let's start at the beginning...

192.168.1.4 is the Access Space LAN Mandrake Mirror. You don't have
access to it at home - so you need to de-select it as a software source.
To start with a clean slate, delete all the urpmi software source
definitions as root:

# urpmi.removemedia -a

Now add some new software sources - you'll need main (the contents of
the first three Mandrake Disks) and updates (security updates & bug fixes.

You'll probably also want contrib (extra programs), plf-free (GPL
software that's usage may be in a legal grey area - for example, some
codecs) and plf-nonfree (non-GPL software that's usage may be in a legal
grey area - like other codecs). I guess that jpackage (java-based
programs) may also be handy.

Bearing in mind that you are running Mandrake 10.1(official) on an i586,
as root type each of these commands (cut & paste may be handy here).
Note: Leave out the '%'s - they just represent the prompt - each of
these lines is one very long line - your emailer may put in line endings
where they're not needed.

# urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main
with media_info/hdlist.cz
# urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib

with media_info/hdlist.cz
# urpmi.addmedia jpackage
ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/jpackage

with media_info/hdlist.cz
# urpmi.addmedia plf-free
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/free/10.1 with hdlist.cz
# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.1 with hdlist.cz
# urpmi.addmedia --update updates
ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates/

with media_info/hdlist.cz

Each of these lines will download an index file (hdlist.cz), which is
quite big - so it may take a few minutes. Once you're done, then you can
urpmi whatever software you want!

Okay - so I'm not so bright - how did I figure out these long command
lines, and how do I know that these mirrors are available? Easy - I went
to http://urpmi.org and clicked "easyurpmi". That provides an easy form
to fill in which allows you to calculate what command lines to use.

Sometimes these commands fail - that's because the particular source
mirror is down - in that case, choose another mirror when you fill in
the easyurpmi form.

Urpmi is almost bomb-proof, but occasionally a few things glitch up,
typically because your chosen software mirror is down, or the package
your searching for has been updated. Try "man urpmi" to read more about
how to de-glitch urpmi.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

James