[SlugBug] Spam help required

Gary Stimson gstimson at zedcore.com
Tue Jun 7 13:21:14 BST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 03:29, Jonathan Defries wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a nightmare.
>
> Some Latvian spammers have kindly decided to use one of my domains in
> their from addresses, so I'm currently getting around 1,000 mail
> failures a day into my account.
>
> Anyone know if there's someone I can take this problem to try and get it
> resolved?

Hi Jonathan

You can take the problem to is those who administer your email server, or you
could temporarily have your email hosted elsewhere by someone who could
filter it.  Also you could see who provides the web hosting for the domain
that they're spamvertising and mail their abuse@ address, and also the abuse@
address for their upstream provider.

What address are the bounces going to? Is it jonathan at rootmeans.com or
somethingelse at rootmeans.com? If the latter, then redirect that address
to /dev/null. Turn off any "catch-all" email addresses on your account, i.e.
ones that receive mail for anything@ and only use known addresses. This will
cut down on incoming spam too.

If the bounces are going to jonathan at rootmeans.com then you'll need to filter
on message content instead. We have created a big list of regular expressions
that will catch most bounce messages. I can provide you with a copy if it'll
be of use.

If you're still stuck, give me a call. We do a superb incoming spam filtering
service with virtually nothing getting through, and can take a look at your
bounces problem.

Gary

--
Gary Stimson