[SlugBug] Of Linux, SMP, and CPU failure...?

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 19:48:49 GMT 2005

[[ deja-vu' for those also on shef-lug ]]

Searching on Google right now, but can't find any information, so a quick
question here -- when a CPU fails on a Linux SMP system, does anyone know
what will happen (i.e., crash or L2 spit out lots of errors but still run
but on one processor)?

My SMP box in Northampton has apparently started beeping making different
frequency noises every 5 or 10 mins or so. Unfortuantly I can't remember
what BIOS the machine has, but if it's an Award BIOS, this indicates a CPU
problem... possibly overheating... if it isn't an Award BIOS I have no
idea what's causing the beeps. Hopefully it'll survive 'til the weekend, or
run on one CPU... (doing well though - 477 days uptime :-) ).

Time for a replacement machine I think - it's several years old (six or
seven I think, possibly more).

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson                 \ NP: Vivaldi - 08. Autumn Concerto No 3 in
 \ cej at nightwolf.org.uk          \  F - Adagio molto