[SlugBug] (Fwd) Postfix and Mailman with virtual hosting

Matthew Gray matt at solis.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 10:03:05 BST 2005

Hi Slugbug peeps,

I'm in need of some help about Postfix and Mailman : specifically
virtual hosting and integrating Postfix and Mailman

I'm got Postfix (2.15, from the Fedora Core 3 package) running with
virtual email hosts: this works fine, with the following in main.cf :

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

(there's a lot of other stuff obviously - but i think these are the
key lines)

I can receive mail on all the domains that point to the machine. At
the moment /etc/postfix/virtual is just set up to forward
postmaster@[virtual_domain] to root, and bounce everything else.

I have also succesfully set up Mailman (2.1.6 - compiled from
source), but without virtual hosting: everything is just running as
[list_name]@[the_real_hostname]

The problem is when I try to make the Mailman write virtual alias
maps
for postfix. I added the following to the virtual_alias_maps variable
in main.cf :

hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

and added the relavent domains to the
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS constant in mm_cfg.py. I
also added them with the add_virtualhost() function in the same file.

The problem is, when i run /usr/local/mailman/bin/genaliases, it
does
not write the virtual-mailman and virtual-mailman.db as I think it
should. No error is reported, the files just aren't there. And further
to that, when the line: hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
is in main.cf, it breaks the virtual hosted email completely: even the
postmaster@[virtual_domain] addresses that should not be
affected by
Mailman.

I'd really appreciate a few pointers, if any of you have time.

Best,

Matt

--

Matthew Gray