[SlugBug] vsftpd and ports and stuff. Blimey.

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed May 26 14:40:50 BST 2004

Quoting mike dewar <m.dewar at sheffield.ac.uk>:

> I can ssh to the RH box from Uni, i guess on port 22.
>

> : How do I ftp to my friends RH box behind a router?

Don't use ftp .. its insecure -plain text paswords and stuff- and suffers from
lots of issues that firewalls have difficulty with..

use sftp instead..

it a part of the ssh protocol so if you can ssh to the computer you can sftp.

It'll take all your usual commands PUT GET  etc, its secure and firewall
friendly.

if you usually go ssh username at ip.of.your.friend

try sftp username at ip.of.your.friend

plus  if your using konqueror as your file browsing client, it'll support sftp
nativeley , so you get seamless view of the local and remote file system

try typing sftp://ip.of.your.friend into konqueror and enter drag and drop
heaven.. no fancy mget mput  file globbing stuff any more.

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "