[SlugBug] vsftpd and ports and stuff. Blimey.

mike dewar m.dewar at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed May 26 14:34:27 BST 2004

Okay. Umm. I think that page is trying to tell me to open up 'some'
ports from 1024 onwards. Which I've done (ports 1024~1044)  to no avail.
The web page seems to be saying I need to open ports >1024 but doesn't
really specify which ones. I'm assuming that I only _need_ two open for
a single ftp user, but I'm getting pretty confused. Why does ftp seem so
much more complicated than ssh?

Is there a way to make the ftp command show an error or something that
lets me see just what's going on? At the moment it feels like I'm
opening up the RH box more and more to the net and nothing much is
changing...

Is there a simple way to directly transfer files between the computers
that's easier than all this?

Thanks for the help on this...