[SlugBug] startup in gentoo

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Sat May 15 12:30:33 BST 2004

Quoting Mike Dewar <m.dewar at shef.ac.uk>:

> then it pretty much works. My question is, how do I make it do all this
> on startup? I've tried editing /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/modules.conf
> without much success. Googling gives confusing results so I thought I'd
> ask you guys.

Funnily enough I've just done a gentoo install this week

to get your modules to autoload edit
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4

and add sis900 to the list

then run

modules-update

at a root prompt

you add your network stuff into /etc/conf.d/net

lines like
iface_eth0="192.168.8.4 broadcast 192.168.8.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway="eth0/192.168.8.1"

should be ok

then at a root prompt type

rc-update add net.eth0 default

to make networking start at your defualt run level

The handbook seems pretty good
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "