routing problem, was: Re: [SlugBug] Wiki, routing and the last / first meeting...

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Fri Feb 27 16:22:08 GMT 2004

Hi

On Fri 27-Feb-2004 at 04:15:29PM +0000, David Leadbeater wrote:

> >   # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 | grep -v '#'
> >   DEVICE=eth0
> >   BOOTPROTO=none
> >   ONBOOT=yes
> >   TYPE=Ethernet
> >   MTU=1500
> >   IPADDR=80.176.191.223
> >   GATEWAY=80.176.191.224
>
> I'm not sure this gateway is right

I think it is the one demon gave me... I'll check...

> looking at the various reverse dns names of the addresses around
> your IP address they look like each one is assigned to a different
> user (I'd expect to see a gap if demon really did this..).
>
> Plus if demon did do it like this they would have to assign 4
> addresses to each user, I wouldn't really expect them to waste
> addresses like that.

I know, it's reather weird, I don't really understand why the
gateway has reverse dns set up:

  # dig mdmgm-adsl.demon.co.uk | grep 80.176.191.224
  mdmgm-adsl.demon.co.uk. 280     IN      A       80.176.191.224

Do demon really give everybody 2 static ip addresses with each ADSL
account? What happened to the shortage of IP addresses?!

Chris

--
http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/
SlugBug - the Sheffield Linux Users Group and BSD Users Group