[SlugBug] Maybe OT... colo and 1U server recommendations?

Graham Cox grahamcox at cwazy.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 23:15:56 GMT 2004

Minase wrote:

>First, Linux related issue: what server to get? Anyone have any
>favourite branded 1Us for Linux usage? Or maybe it'd be better to
>build one myself? I've really no idea a about 1U's... the cooling
>issues scare me off build-your-own though :)
>I've heard pretty much anything HP is reliable. I was also thinking
>one of the IBM X series servers (i've heard bad things about their
>SATA controllers + linux, but i'd be getting a SCSI model anyway)
>Requirements: SCSI, (obviously) decent serial support, stable under
>Linux and requires no binary drivers or wacky kernel patches. No RAID
>required as will be using Linux software RAID.
>I'd like price to be roughly ~1000 GBP.

At work we use Dell boxes the whole way and never have any issues with
them - running Linux on a couple of older ones but never bought one
specifically for that purpose so that's hard to say.

Why the insistance on SCSI btw? I'm no expert, but surely SCSI isn't
that much better that SATA or even just EIDE, with the difference of a
huge price tag. Upgrading an internal server recently we went for the
EIDE 120GB hard drive - £52 - instead of the SCSI version even though
the box it was going in was pure SCSI before this since the SCSI one was
over £700!

>Second issue, the colo itself - wanting to just rent 1 or 2 U, with
>bandwidth. I've settled on one of two pretty nice looking companies,
>just wondering if anyone knows anything about them - horror stories
>for example. They are:

Don't know anything about those ones, but our live servers are in Redbus
Interchange and we've never had any serious problems from them. Apart
from the two power cuts this year, that is :)
--
Graham