[SlugBug] network problems with Mandrake 10.1

Richard Davies linux at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 09:07:19 GMT 2004

On Friday 10 Dec 2004 22:28, you wrote:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it with no luck.

> On Friday 10 Dec 2004 22:17, Richard Davies wrote:
> > On Friday 10 Dec 2004 Richard wrote
> >
> > Has anyone else had network connectivity problems with Mandrake 10.1
> > community edition?
>
> I am using that same version and it is working fine.
>
> > I have just done a fresh install on a new drive and can no longer browse
> > the web or get ftp access but can ping anywhere from the console.
>
> Just wondering if your firewall is blocking port 80, I think that shorewall
> is the default firewall application and if you do a clear on the shorewall.
> something like
>
> su
> shorewall -clear

The firewall seems to be drakfirewall. It is turned off so no firewall at all.
Further checking shows I can access
127.0.0.1
192.168.1.5
localhost
Which is what you would expect as they are all the same location.
I cannot access anywhere outside of the local box with a web browser, telnet
or ftp client this includes the router connected to the box.

I can ping anywhere
router 2ms
www.demon.co.uk 20ms
www.rense.com 174ms
No packet loss

These figures sound perfectly normal so there is nothing slowing down ping.

I have tried (briefly) running konqueror as root but there is no change.

Forgot to dump dmesg to floppy but will do it next time I plug in the new
drive.

--
Regards

Richard