[SlugBug] network problems with Mandrake 10.1

Richard Davies linux at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 22:17:34 GMT 2004

On Friday 10 Dec 2004 Richard wrote

Has anyone else had network connectivity problems with Mandrake 10.1 community
edition?

I have just done a fresh install on a new drive and can no longer browse the
web or get ftp access but can ping anywhere from the console.

Network monitoring shows that it is connected to the web.
Ping post.demon.co.uk or pop3.demon.co.uk gives about 20ms no dropped packets

Trying to send or receive mail with Kmail times out.

Trying to access websites with lynx or konqueror times out even though they
can be pinged.

System is connected via ethernet to a US Robotics router and works just fine
with Mandrake 9.1

I can connect to http://.localhost and http:192.168.1.5 which is the same
address (apache) on this local box.

I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 which is the router.

I guess the problem is something to do with security levels but I don't know
where to start looking. I installed with standard security not paranoid.

I can't find reference to this problem on the Mandrake site or with google.

It seems most weird to me, all suggestions greatfully accepted.

--
Regards

Richard