[SlugBug] More weirdness from Richard Ibbotson

Neil McGovern maulkin at halon.org.uk
Sun Aug 22 17:13:43 BST 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:43:45PM +0100, Gary Stimson wrote:
> >On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Gary Stimson wrote:
> > > As this list is often used to announce events at LUGs in foreign
> > > places like West Yorkshire, I'm sure it's OK to publicise a meet
> > > of "the other Sheffield Linux (and BSD) user group" tonight 7pm
> > > onwards at the Rutland Arms (near Pop Centre / Spearmint Rhino).
> > > There's no agenda or presentations - it's just an informal
> > > get-together. The pub has a wireless network if you'd like to
> > > bring a laptop.

Ok, just so we get it right, it's the:
[S]outh Yorkshire [L]inux [U]ser [G]roup / [B]SD [U]ser [G]roup.

It's sorta important to make a distinction, we don't want to step on
each other's toes. See the first few posts to the list in the archives
for a full discussion.

> > This isn't anything to do with personal nastiness or anything of that
> > sort.  All I'm doing is explaining something.  Nothing more than that.
> > I don't want to be unpleasant to anyone.

Good good.

> > The Slug-bug thing - or whatever it is - caused so much trouble that we
> > had to send several pages to a local police department.  That and the
> > fact that Eversheds over in Leeds became involved.  Eversheds only work
> > if they can get a lot of money out of someone.  They are our ShefLUG
> > solicitors.

Erm... This is news to me, and I suppose anyone one else on the admin
team. It certainly hasn't been posted to slugbug-owner.

> > No one is telling me what Slug-bug is and at the last meeting I was told
> > by the ShefLUG members to ignore it and not to take any notice of it.
> > So, it would make life a lot easier for myself and other people if you
> > could manage to drop it from our list.

I'm sure we annouced it...

> > Hopefully this isn't something that will cause problems for yourself or
> > anyone else.  Please write back if you want to discuss this but as
> > Richard Stevenson over in New Zealand explained some months ago this
> > matter is now closed.  It's been voted out due the extreme nature of
> > the case in question.  End of story.

Voting? Erm... I didn't see anything on the list...

In general, I think I may contact Richard directly (and warn my big nice
team of lawyers) to find out what the hell is going on. Unless anyone
has other suggestions that is.

Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li B345BDD3