[SlugBug] reply-to-harmful (was gentoo and dhcpcd)

Bill Best bill at commedia.org.uk
Fri Sep 5 11:55:04 BST 2003

Alan Dawson wrote:

> Hi Mike ... I notice that all the solutions to your eth0 problem have been
> made off list ( mine included, accidentally).  List admins, any chance of
> changing the defaults to reply to list?  Or taking a vote on it?  Surely the
> gain of useful traffic on the list is worth the risk of irrelevant but
> personal traffic hitting it?

i would tend to disagree with you, Al, for these reasons:

and i would totally repudiate these arguments here:

http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

i try to keep the noise-to-signal ratio to a minimum by thanking peeps
off-list unless i can combine my gratitude with some new bit of
information to post.

bill