[SlugBug] browsers

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Wed Oct 1 11:04:13 BST 2003

On Wednesday 01 Oct 2003 9:48 am, pault wrote:
> Hi Buggers
>
> So here I am six weeks into my linux odyssey and I'm going through browser
> indecision.
>
> I'm mostly working in Gnome coz KDE looks [really] crap at low res [but
> that'll hopefully fixed later in the week].
>
> Galeon: found to be flaky, higher incidence of pages not loaded. Quite like
> the spartan interface.
>
> Konqueror: being a K app, still doesn't look that good in Gnome. Behaves
> itself largely though. Same KHTML engine as Safari on Mac OS X which I
> like.
>
> Mozilla: what I'm using at the moment. Plug ugly and a complete resource
> hog. Good HTML engine though. Bloated [why can't I turn off Chatzilla &
> Email & Newsgroups & Addresses when I don't use them---or can I].
>
> So I was looking on the Mozilla website and came across Firebird. This
> looks like a possible solution, leaner, less bloated.
>
> So I downloaded the tarball and expanded it, and now I'm stuck. Which is
> the executable in the resultant "MozillaFirebird" directory? Doesn't seem
> to be any readme on install instructions. Mmmmm.
>
> pault

I recommend using the latest build

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-0.7/MozillaFirebird-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz

because it has xft compiled in, which means fonts will look a lot nicer.

I run it using a little shell script.

#!/bin/sh
ps x |grep -q 'MozillaFirebird' && MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird -remote \
"openURL($1, new-window)" || MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird $*

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>