[SlugBug] Linux Desktop for an OLD machine (newbie question)

Mike Dewar m.dewar at shef.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 17:48:45 BST 2003

Hi,

I've been pulled into this list via an email I got from Sheffield Uni
about the film playing at the Showroom this week...

This list seems like a good place to ask a fairly newbie question that
I've been pondering... At home I run RH9 which is sort of slow on my P4
but in general is fast enough to use. However, at Uni I've been given an
old P2 with 128MB of RAM and I'm guessing that RH9 is going to be a bit
too much for it.

What kind of distro can you put on an old computer such as this?

Is there any way I can run KDE or am I going to have to use one of the
old window manager/desktop thingies? I mainly want to run Mozilla and
Kile(a LaTeX specific editor) and a terminal to the faster UNIX machines
in  my department. I'm fairly new to the whole Linux thing, having used
Mandrake 8.something and RH9, but I'm not scared of trying something
more hardcore a la Slackware or Gentoo. However, I don't wanna spend 3
days installing them just to find that they're unusable...

Any guidance would be great - sorry if this is an inappropriate question
  for this group - let me know if I should only ask more hardcore
questions...

Cheers,

Mike Dewar