[SlugBug] Testing server links

Beneath ishikodzume at beneath.plus.com
Fri Jul 18 02:46:55 BST 2003

Hallo,

> What the OP asked for was something that would test possible links
> given a list of files in a filesystem.

I thought the simple problem was just checking seeing if all the <a
href's (and equivilent JavaScript code and anything else, etc) led to
files that actually existed. You could set a script at your own server
and it'd finish a fairly large site in a small amount of time i would
have thought.
It seems a kind of overcomplicated way of doing things if you're going
to try parse every single webserver related file... and it becomes
EXTREMELY complicated if you have Perl/PHP/etc generated content. The
logical answer to me is just let the webserver do all that work, and
yourself write a simple script that accesses the webserver, parses the
HTML, follows links, and checks HTTP response codes.

If he's not trying to do what i just said above (he did /say/
'weblinks') then i'm probably stupid and misunderstood the original post
:)

 - Daniel