[SlugBug] List settings (was: Suggestions)

Mr. Adam ALLEN adam at dynamicinteraction.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 16:26:07 BST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 15:57, Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Wed 16-Jul-2003 at 01:13:14AM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:
> >
> > Tomorrow (or later today, must go to bed), I'll put together a
> > description of the policy as it's currently configured on the
> > server.
>
> Here's a quick rundown of the current setup of the mailing list,
> probably there are some mailman settings that people want to change.
>
> First, the server itself has various anti-spam controls:
>
> It blocks using some of the dns-based RBLs, currently these are
> pretty uncontroversial:  list.dsbl.org, relays.ordb.org,
> proxies.relays.monkeys.com, blackholes.easynet.nl.
>
> The box also won't accept any mail from an undeliverable sender
> address, or from a client that messes up SMTP in various ways.
>
> Things that mailman does that can be changed:
>
> *  [SlugBug] is added to subject of every message.
>
> *  There's no Reply-To: header pointing to the list.

That explains why my message never appeared on the list- but instead
went straight to Jonathan. I'd prefer this to go straight to the list-
otherwise you get plonkers like me sending mail off-list all the time!

> *  The message size limit is 40kB.
>
> *  There's a configurable footer at the bottom of every mail.
>
> *  Subscription is automatic with no moderator approval required.
>
> *  Subscribers can view the subscriber list.
>
> *  Archives are public (with obfuscated email addresses).
>
> *  Postings from unsubscribed addresses are rejected.
>
> *  All mime attachments except text/plain and pgp/mime signatures
>    are stripped (I'd be interested to see if this actually works,
>    I've never turned it on before).

Well if you get this message, it's evolution's method of GnuPG
signatures.

> *  If a message is just html with no text alternative, it's going to
>    get rejected.

Hope all goes well with the list- though I'm no longer living in
Sheffield- and so scundog (Scunthorpe & Doncaster) are the closest.
Though I'll stay part of the list- one day I might end up back in
Sheffield.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.