[SlugBug] List settings (was: Suggestions)

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Jul 16 16:57:45 BST 2003

On Wed 16-Jul-2003 at 01:13:14AM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:

> Tomorrow (or later today, must go to bed), I'll put together a
> description of the policy as it's currently configured on the
> server.

Here's a quick rundown of the current setup of the mailing list,
probably there are some mailman settings that people want to change.

First, the server itself has various anti-spam controls:

It blocks using some of the dns-based RBLs, currently these are
pretty uncontroversial:  list.dsbl.org, relays.ordb.org,
proxies.relays.monkeys.com, blackholes.easynet.nl.

The box also won't accept any mail from an undeliverable sender
address, or from a client that messes up SMTP in various ways.

Things that mailman does that can be changed:

*  [SlugBug] is added to subject of every message.

*  There's no Reply-To: header pointing to the list.

*  The message size limit is 40kB.

*  There's a configurable footer at the bottom of every mail.

*  Subscription is automatic with no moderator approval required.

*  Subscribers can view the subscriber list.

*  Archives are public (with obfuscated email addresses).

*  Postings from unsubscribed addresses are rejected.

*  All mime attachments except text/plain and pgp/mime signatures
   are stripped (I'd be interested to see if this actually works,
   I've never turned it on before).

*  If a message is just html with no text alternative, it's going to
   get rejected.

--
Bruno