[SlugBug] General thoughts and ideas about the new (B)LUG

Beneath ishikodzume at beneath.plus.com
Wed Jul 16 02:05:18 BST 2003

Hello,

Well, someone emailed me and told me about this list, so i thought i'd
join it. I don't tend to be a mailing list kind of person for
non-technical conversation, but i'll try and keep a presence on here so
as to help with the activity of the thing.

My apologies for not continuing on a thread, but i only just subscribed
to the list. The stuff i'm about to say probably doesn't warrant it's
own thread, but whatever.

First, i am so far in agreement with everything said on the list...
For example, i don't think any kind of moderation (other than verbal
ushering in the right direction) will be needed on the list. If anything
stronger is required, i pretty much trust the people who will be
admining the server to do the Right Thing, even though i don't know you.
This isn't the old regime, i don't think we have much to fear :)
We just need to know that this will be *everyones* group who attends,
and so you need to act accordingly... not just going off using any power
you have without consulting some other members. I think that is common
sense for everyone here, and therefore a strict moderation
policy/structure does not need to emerge.

The name? Well, hmm. It really does depend what kind of audience you are
trying to attract, as seen as the name will have a big impact on how
people percieve the group. I am very interested in *BSD, though nowhere
near as experienced as i am with Linux (therefore, it'd be nice for me
to have BSD gurus among the members)... however, unfortunately the
public seems to have heard of linux a lot, and not at all of the BSDs.
So, BSD in the name might confuse people, and they may choose a pure
linux group over a general free-unix user group.
However, i am all for it.
Is this LUG more geared towards helping the newbie, or for experienced
people to hang out and talk? I am all for it being both, as seen as both
aspects aren't as good as they could be with the existing LUG (newbies
are scared away, experienced people get exasperated and bored).

What is going to happen about actual meetings, by the way? Are there any
free venues in Sheffield really? I guess the meetings will come along
after the website has been set up, and it has been advertised somewhat?
If you need help with writing or designing the website, i'd be happy to
help... i have the time to sit writing whatever, and i am not as
incoherrent as my quick emails make me seem :)
I used to do a lot of web design in my spare time... however, my
artistic side seems to have died in the last year. However, if no one
else cares to do it, i am sure i can whip up a fairly nifty site (a lot
better than the sheflug one, anyway...)

About the meetings... i think that if we have to rent a room, or any
other costs, should be distributed amongst the people who care enough to
spend a little money on it. Though unemployed and so i have not much
available in the way of funds, i would be happy to put at least a little
towards the group if it incurs any costs to run...
I think one person funding the group may lead to a misled sense of
'ownership' or power... maybe what happened with Richard? :)

I have enthusiasm for the new group, and plan to support it however i
can...
This does not mean i intend to stop going to the existing ShefLUG
meetings though, for now at least. Maybe if this LUG surpasses it so
much i no longer care about the other LUG, then i would... but i don't
think it should be an either/or thing, against/for richard kind of
thing...

I'm tired, hope that made a little sense.

 - Daniel