[SlugBug] first redhat installation

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Fri Aug 22 00:31:39 BST 2003

On Thursday 21 Aug 2003 10:56 pm, pault wrote:
> Hi Slugbuggers [does that count as an nomenclature opinion?]
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I posted about getting a linux box together. Well
> it's happened [thanks to kind contributors from this list BTW].
>
> So now I have RedHat 9 up and running and am starting to play. I intend in
> the longer term to go the apt route [as recommended by Chris and Bill], but
> while I get everything bedded down [and my own level of knowledge and
> confidence grows], I'm relying on rh's own up2date.
>
> I've updated everything successfully. And then I got the following from
> RedHat:
>
> ======================================
> Red Hat Network has determined that the following advisory is applicable to
> one or more of the systems you have registered:
>
> Complete information about this errata can be found at the following
> location: https://rhn.redhat.com/network/errata/errata_details.pxt?eid=1814
>
> Bug Fix Advisory - RHBA-2003:263-05
>
> Updated kernel packages are now available fixing several obscure bugs.
> ======================================
>
> Now I don't know a lot, but I _do_ know that upgrading the kernel is
> serious business. Any words of wisdom from more knowledgeable? Do I have to
> wear special clothing? Should I be wearing a condom? Or am I OK just to run
> up2date?
>
> pault
>
> PS I have no doubt that this will the first of many newbie questions from
> me, but this is sort of the point of having a user group, n'est pas?

Kernel updates aren't that big a deal, I regularly apply security related
kernel updates.

Just run

up2date -f -u

It automatically updates your grub.conf file so that when you next reboot it
defaults to this kernel but it keeps the old kernel as an option if you need
to go back to that.

    Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)