[SlugBug] first redhat installation

pault pault at burngreave.net
Thu Aug 21 23:56:49 BST 2003

Hi Slugbuggers [does that count as an nomenclature opinion?]

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about getting a linux box together. Well it's
happened [thanks to kind contributors from this list BTW].

So now I have RedHat 9 up and running and am starting to play. I intend in the
longer term to go the apt route [as recommended by Chris and Bill], but while I
get everything bedded down [and my own level of knowledge and confidence grows],
I'm relying on rh's own up2date.

I've updated everything successfully. And then I got the following from RedHat:

======================================
Red Hat Network has determined that the following advisory is applicable to
one or more of the systems you have registered:

Complete information about this errata can be found at the following location:
     https://rhn.redhat.com/network/errata/errata_details.pxt?eid=1814

Bug Fix Advisory - RHBA-2003:263-05

Updated kernel packages are now available fixing several obscure bugs.

Now I don't know a lot, but I _do_ know that upgrading the kernel is serious
business. Any words of wisdom from more knowledgeable? Do I have to wear special
clothing? Should I be wearing a condom? Or am I OK just to run up2date?

pault

PS I have no doubt that this will the first of many newbie questions from me,
but this is sort of the point of having a user group, n'est pas?
--
pault <mailto:pault at burngreave.net>
<http://www.burngreave.net/~pault/>