[SlugBug] [HELP] dead debian X mouse

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Aug 15 12:50:14 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:40:50AM +0100, Paul Arzul wrote:
> > That will lead to more instability, not less. The correct way to pull
> > from unstable/testing is to 'pin' packages, but I don't recommend it.
> > Running a mix is never a good idea though.
>
> (i was 'pinning' it.)

You're pinning packages, yet you can't get a ps2 mouse working? I'm saving
this mail for future reference :)

(This isn't a dig at you, btw)

> stock from cd install (2.4.18-bf2.4). it's a standard ps2 mouse.

-bf kernels are boot-floppies kernels - i.e., kernels that are used to
install Debian. You probably don't want to be running that. It's
unlikely this is causing your problem though...

> The mouse police never sleep.
> Found the following devices:
> /dev/psaux
> /dev/ttyS1
> /dev/ttyS0

Okay, it can see the device but either it isn't supported or something
else has the mouse. I would be on the latter - are you sure you aren't
using something else like gpm concurrently?

Try booting to single user mode and running mdetect - that will ensure
nothing else has dibs on the mouse device. Otherwise, it's probably a
driver issue and you should try a different kernel (make sure you follow
the inevitable initrd instruction).

Cheers,

Alex.