[SlugBug] [m.dewar@sheffield.ac.uk: sound card - n00b question!!]

Matthew Collins matthew at janes.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 08:43:18 BST 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 01:02:50AM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> This is forwarded due to posting problems.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Mike Dewar <m.dewar at sheffield.ac.uk> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:46:42 +0100
> From: Mike Dewar <m.dewar at sheffield.ac.uk>
> Subject: sound card - n00b question!!
>
> Hi,

Hello,
[snip]

> demesg mentions the soundcard and some of it's settings on a line
> beggining 'isapnp', conlcuding that there is, in fact, 1 plug and play
> device. But then nothing else is mentioned, no errors or anything to do
> with sound cards. So after messing about online I come across
> /etc/modules.conf  - it has a line with something like 'pre-remove' on
> it which didn't sound healthy. My mistake came i think when i thought
> 'bugger it' and deleted all the lines that related to the soundcard in
> modules.conf in the hope that something (Kudzu maybe?) would re-write
> them when it noticed they weren't there. Should have backed it up
> probably.

No probably about it ;)

I don't know if redhat uses this, but on Debian the modules.conf file is
made up of many files in a different directory.

Try running update-modules as root, and see if that re-creates your
modules.conf file. It will wipe out any changes you've made to it.

> So is there anyway I can reset Kudzu or whatever into thinking that
> there's a new sound card? if not is there a way to manually install the
> sound card???

Try typing
modprobe opl3sa2
as root, and see what that does.