[Shefflea-broadband] YHGfL filtering

Andy Wynne awynne at ssclc.net
Fri May 18 16:32:36 BST 2007

All,

Just a note to update you all on content filtering:

As many of you are aware, the YHGfL network has filtering at two levels -
proxy layer (black/white lists) and the content filter layer (Dan's Guardian
- black/white lists + page word score filtering). Because all traffic hits
the proxies, there is not at the moment a truly 'unfiltered' Internet feed.
Users can get elevated priveliges by logging in, but this only changes their
access by allowing them to see pages with a higher word score.

YHGfL are planning some work in early June to enable an unfiltered feed,
once this is in place I will invite schools to request this service (this
will require a letter from the headteacher to confirm that the school wishes
to carry out local robust content filtering).

I apologise for the delay in this arriving, and will keep you informed of
developments.

The YHGfL project to provide an interface for schools to manage their own
black/white lists is expected to deliver by mid-late June. Again, I will
keep you informed of developments.

I will also write to you early next week to ask for your assistance in
putting together a Sheffield whitelist. The purpose of this is to increase
the efficiency of the network and ensure that schools have access to sites
of clear educational (teaching and learning or school administration)
benefit.

In the meantime, please report block/unblock requests to the SIMS helpdesk.

Many thanks,

Andy

=========
Andy Wynne
Sheffield South CLC & Sheffield Schools Broadband Project
awynne at ssclc.net www.ssclc.net
T: 0114 258 7728
F: 0114 258 7592
M: 07771 578234