[Shefflea-broadband] Broadband migration

Andy Wynne awynne at ssclc.net
Tue Jan 23 09:40:03 GMT 2007

Colleagues,

We have successfully migrated a test PC to the new network at Sheffield
South CLC on Monday. We propose to move the rest of the 6 pilot schools as
soon as possible, hopefully on Tuesday afternoon (23 January), and if this
all goes well, we will move the first phase of 60 schools on Friday of this
week. Subject to successful completion of each phase, the next phase will
follow at the end of the following week. Therefore, the planned dates will
be:

Phase 1: 26/1/07
Phase 2: 2/2/07
Phase 3: 9/2/07

To remind you, there is no need to change any settings in school. However,
we do emphasise that you need to have your network correctly configured
according to the current BT settings. In particular, smtp and proxy servers
need to be identified by name, rather than by ip address. This is critical
to successful migration.

FILTERING
The way in which content filtering takes place will change in the new
network. Currently your filtering schema depends on which proxy server your
browsers are pointing at, and there are three in Sheffield currently:

- proxy.bty-h.org.uk - general secondary school filtering, requiring a
username and password to be entered
- shefproxy.bty-h.org.uk - as above, but not requiring a username/password
- primaryproxy.bty-h.org.uk - a primary school oriented filtering schema -
no username/password required.

Under the new system, which is described at:

<blocked::http://wiki.yhgfl.net/bin/view/YHPublic/FilteringAndSecurity#YHGfL
_Web_Filtering_Overview>
http://wiki.yhgfl.net/bin/view/YHPublic/FilteringAndSecurity#YHGfL_Web_Filte
ring_Overview

Schools will be allocated a filtering schema appropriate to their type of
school, identified by means of their ip address range. Wider access can be
gained (for example for staff in a primary school) through a login page, at
<blocked::http://login.yhgfl.net/> http://login.yhgfl.net . More details of
how to login this way will be issued at a later date.

Once a school is migrated, we can then start to log change requests for
additional services, for example reverse proxy and VPN. I will provide
details of the process and information required later this week.

In the meantime, any questions, please contact me.

regards,

Andy Wynne

=========
Andy Wynne
Sheffield South CLC & Sheffield Schools Broadband Project
awynne at ssclc.net
www.ssclc.net
T: 0114 258 7728
F: 0114 258 7592