[Shefflea-broadband] Broadband Migration

Andy Wynne awynne at ssclc.net
Fri Jan 5 13:57:23 GMT 2007

All,

Please find below for information a message sent out (or about to be sent
out) to all Sheffield headteachers via the CYPS Virtual Postbag

Regards,

Andy

=============
To secondary, primary and special school heads

Dear colleagues,

Happy New Year to all

We wrote to Headteachers in December to inform you of the plans to implement
changes in arrangements for the provison of Internet services through the
Yorkshire & humber Grid for Learning (Regional Broadband Network). Ths short
note is to update you on developments and progress.

The main issue on which I need to update you concerns the planned dates. We
had planned to make the changes in three phases, with schools movingg across
to the new service in three phases across a three-week period, from week
beginning 8 January 2007. Because of delays in implementing some elements of
the regional infrastructure, this has now been put back by two weeks, so
that the main changes are now due to begin during week beginning 22 January.
The effect of the changes is as follows:

Schools originally due to change over during w/b 8 January will now move w/b
22 January.
Schools originally due to change over during w/b 15 January will now move
w/b 29 January
Schools originally due to change over during w/b 22 January will now move
w/b 5 February

The 6 pilot schools are due to move during w/b 15 January. I will be in
contact with them separately to discuss arrangements

As explained in my earlier letter, the changes will be implemented centrally
and will involve no configuration change for schools at this stage.

Additional services (Reverse Proxy and VPN) will be implemented once schools
have moved across. For schools that currently have one or both of these
services, we will work with YHGfL to ensure that these services are provided
as soon as they move across, though there is likely to be a short delay,
particularly in relation to VPN, which is to be provided using a different
technology to that used by BT.

If you have any queries, please contact me or Jim Shelston
(jim.shelston at sheffield.gov.uk)

Best regards,

Andy Wynne		Jim Shelston
CYPS Schools Broadband Project

=========
Andy Wynne
Sheffield South CLC & Sheffield Schools Broadband Project
awynne at ssclc.net
www.ssclc.net
T: 0114 258 7728
F: 0114 258 7592