[Shefflea-broadband] Service outage Monday 15 May

Andy Wynne awynne at ssclc.net
Mon May 15 20:44:40 BST 2006

Colleagues,

As you will be aware, we suffered a significant loss of service on the
broadband network on Monday 15 May, starting from midday as a result of a
technical fault affecting the core switch and NTE at Firvale. The service
was restored at just before 8pm this evening (Monday).

The precise cause of the outage has yet to be established, and we will be
discussing this with BT, as well as their response time, which in our view
was unacceptably long. I will provide a fuller report when the facts are
established. We will also look at measures needed to prevent this happening
in the future. The performance of the switch will be monitored in the coming
days to ensure that future problems can be prevented.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the disruption caused by the
loss of service.

Today we used the new SMS alert service to inform technical staff in schools
of developments. If you are not yet subscribed to this free service, please
contact me by email giving your name and mobile phone number, and I will add
you to the distribution list.

Best regards,

Andy Wynne, Jim Shelston
Project Managers

=========
Andy Wynne
Sheffield South CLC & Sheffield Schools Broadband Project
awynne at ssclc.net
www.ssclc.net
T: 0114 258 7728
F: 0114 258 7592