[Sfcupdate] Founding Conference recap - Lets get this ball rolling!

Sean Farmelo sean at students.coop
Fri Feb 28 05:54:28 GMT 2014

Hello you fantastic people!

To those of you who attended the conference thanks for all collectively
making it such a brilliant and productive weekend. It seems that we are
really on to something, and that if we plug away at it Students For
Co-operation will be a great success. The email below is long but
contains lots of vital info so please read thoroughly.
up and running the aim is for most of the traffic to transfer over to a
forum hosted on the website. But for the interim please sign up to the
working group email lists below as that is where the co-ordination will
occur. For the time being emails sent to this sfcupdate list can be
responded to meaning we can use this list for discussion between the 127
people currently subscribed to it.

In future this will be used only for updates and general discussion will
be moved to the sfc-discuss list which will be populated by member
co-ops, this will be used to circulate motions in advance of gatherings
relevant to delegates. For that reason this list of emails and websites,
should be updated so that each co-op can be added to the discuss list,
this can be done by following this link:
https://ethersheet.org/s/member%20co-op%20details

Those of you previously on the discuss list have been removed (please
use this list instead).  Individuals (and co-op email addresses) are
more than welcome to join the working groups (you can join more than one
if you are keen!). This is hopefully all pretty straightforward but
please email contact at students.coop if you have any queries
*Minutes*
Attached are the minutes from the General Meeting and a dropbox link to
a photo of the General Meeting. If you can't open the minutes, download
libre office, it's free and it's opensource!
Please send any additional notes made in working groups, photos or
videos taken at the conference to contact at students.coop
~
Education and Support working group  -
sfceducationsupport at email-lists.org
<mailto:sfceducationsupport at email-lists.org>  - Subscribe here -->
~
Events working group  -   sfcevents at email-lists.org
<mailto:sfcevents at email-lists.org>  - Subscribe here -->
~
IT & Communications working group  -   sfcitcomms at email-lists.org
<mailto:sfcitcomms at email-lists.org>  - Subscribe here -->
~
Staff working group  -  sfcstaff at email-lists.org
<mailto:sfcstaff at email-lists.org><mailto:sfcevents at email-lists.org>  -
~
General updates -     sfcupdate at email-lists.org
<mailto:sfcupdate at email-lists.org>  - You are already subscribed to the
list but please circulate it amongst your network & stick the link on
your website, so that others can join us --->
https://www.email-lists.org/mailman/listinfo/sfcupdate   If you've been
incorrectly added to the list, or have better things to do you can also
remove yourself using the previous link.
*Upcoming Events*
1st March (tomorrow!) - University of Westminster - Power of
Co-operation event held by International Development Society: People in
London, The organisers of this event (who we've had no previous contact
with) are very keen that someone involved in Students For Co-operation
or student co-ops more generally attends this event. Please email
contact at students.coop asap if you are planning on attending! they have a
marketplace stall from 1.45-3pm this would be the key time to attend.
https://www.facebook.com/events/671465826232390/677310662314573/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity
~
4th March - University of Ediburgh, The Chapliancy - Public Launch of
Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative - /We have secured an excellent
106 bed (26 flat) property which, from September, will offer affordable,
democratically run accommodation for students!////At this stage we have
a lot of big decisions to make such as whether we would like a huge
communcal kitchen alongside the kitchens in each flat and the budget for
the year. //To get email updates join our mailing list! We will be
sending out details for applications after the launch event!
groupspaces.com/EdinburghStudentHousingCoop//
https://www.facebook.com/events/1426020740974834/?source=1  (this is
pretty much the most exciting thing ever! well done you lot!!)
~
8th March - Southampton - Co-operative City Conference - Students For
Co-operation has been asked to have a stall at this conference with an
aim to getting students involved in creating student co-ops in
Southampton (note this event is not being organised by students and may
be poorly attended by them for that reason) Organisers are offering free
accomodation and a refund for transport costs and entrance fee. Please
get in touch asap to contact at students.coop if you are able to attend
this conference - might be good for people from brighton?
.http://www.uk.coop/event/co-operative-city-conference-southampton-0
*Articles that need to be written* *ASAP*
So far there has been little press about the conference (apart from a
great one on The Phone Co-ops blog:
http://www.thephone.coop/about-us/blog/2014/february/the-future-of-co-operation/
)  We need to get some reports out about the conference both on local
member co-op blogs. It would also be brilliant if a few people would be
able to take on the job of writing out the below articles that have been
requested.
~
1) Co-op News : 600-800 word account from a member of a local co-op
about how the conference helped members of their co-op learn some
important skills and how the believe the network will be able to support
them in future - this will go out to the wider co-op movement. Use this
unfinished google doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jq3bKrfQZM_5rkmKZ72Oo9D_sIVWOB0RwQ1Au3HDCMw/edit?usp=sharing
~
2) Slaney Street (Birmingham based community newspaper): 400-500 word
report, slightly more factual information about the proceedings of the
conference including the sessions people attended, the key speakers and
a general overview of decisions made in the general meeting. Use this
unfinished google doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YGyv2lEzlMsDIWJbknb6qbjhdupdJISwoEoJWobDYaQ/edit?usp=sharing
If you've made it this far,
you are a star!