[ptx] What does PTmender mean to hugin?

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Tue May 2 12:52:44 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm wondering where PTmender is going, and how hugin is going to
support it.

My thoughts are:

1. If it's gonna be just a perfectly compatible open-source version
of PTstitcher, then we can just change wherever says "PTstitcher" to
"PTstitcher compatible" on hugin.

2. If it's gonna be a yet another stitcher, we should make one more
stitcher selection in the stitching panel along with nona and
PTstitcher.

3. If it's merely a command line interface to an open-source library
that is capable of stitching photos, hugin should use it directly
instead of through command line program for the sake of stability.

It looks like we are taking the option 1 for the moment, if I
understand the situation correctly.

I'm kind of confused because PTmender is developed under the panolib
package on panotools project. Does that mean its functionality is
more of panolib than the command line program itself? Then I think
hugin should use the same functionality directly.

If not, shouldn't PTmender consist of the core library that hugin can
link against and command tool wrapper that keeps compatibility with
PTstitcher? I think there is no point developing an open-source
command line tool only to parse the output in order to make its GUI
wrapper. I remember after all we abandoned PTOptimiser in favour of
directly using the same functionality of panolib from hugin itself.

Cheers,
Ippei

--
   My general MSN, AIM, and E-Mail: ippei_ukai at mac.com