[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] branching libpano

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 27 19:27:17 BST 2006

 Bruno Postle twisted the bytes to say:

 Bruno> On Tue 27-Jun-2006 at 00:03 -0400, Max Lyons wrote:

 >> Also...if we are going to create a new module for the code then I would suggest
 >> using a name other than pano12.  If I understand correctly, the current
 >> proposal is to have "pano12" and "libpano12"? Or something similar?  My
 >> experience with the average end user is that these will be assumed to be the
 >> same thing.  I'd suggest "pano20" or something more obviously different.

 Bruno> The binary compatible library has to be called 'pano12' (or
 Bruno> 'libpano12' on linux) as that is what PTStitcher is looking for.

 Bruno> Daniel is suggesting taking advantage of a mistake (I made) in the
 Bruno> existing naming scheme - The current CVS module is called libpano,
 Bruno> but it should have been called 'libpano12'.

 Bruno> So if a new CVS module, called 'libpano12', is created for the
 Bruno> binary compatible code, this would build a library with the same
 Bruno> name.

 Bruno> We can then keep the existing 'libpano' CVS module, and change the
 Bruno> library name to match the CVS name.

Yes, that is the idea: one module for libpano12, and one for libpano
(even if the library is actually called pano20, panoNG, or
pano-thefuture :)

 Bruno> So the CVS layout would look like this:

  libpano CVS: new library called PANO.DLL, for use with PTmender

We might on a different name for the library, but the module will
stay that way.

  libpano12 CVS: old library called PANO12.DLL, for use with PTStitcher

Yeap.

--
Daniel M. German                  "Great algorithms are
   Francis Sullivan ->             the poetry of computation"