[ptx] Compiler versions and Hugin

Peter Gawthrop peter at gawthrop.net
Fri Jul 7 12:54:52 BST 2006

Hi Rob,

 thanks for the help and encouragement! I have spent a while getting a
 working version of hugin -- and learning a lot more about how to go
 about this sort of thing. It makes me appreciate how much Pablo and
 the hugin team have done for the panorama community.

 In fact, libwx was not the main problem. Having followed your
 instructions, using g++/gcc4.1, and extracting hugin to
 ~/Development/Photo/hugin, I find that:

 ~/Development/Photo/hugin/src/hugin/hugin

 works fine

  /usr/local/bin/hugin

  comes up with the error reported earlier - even though I have done
  sudo make install and diff reports that the files are identical.

  I can't understand why that should be -- can you?

  FWIW, I also built hugin using my own version of wx - but it has the
  same behaviour. Here is how I did it:

1. Compile your own wxwidgets.
Get wxWidgets-2.6.3.tar.gz from http://www.wxwidgets.org/
$ tar -xzf wxWidgets-2.6.3.tar.gz
$ cd wxWidgets-2.6.3
$ ./configure --with-gtk --enable-compat22
$ make
$ sudo make install

2. Make sure the new wx libs are found - edit /etc/ld.so.conf do that
   /usr/local/lib is before /usr/lib. My file is:

/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib
/usr/lib/mozilla
/usr/lib/atlas

3. Install hugin as Rob Parks Tutorial at
   http://exolucere.ca/articles/compile-hugin-ubuntu
  except replace the configuration command by

$ ./configure  --with-unicode=yes --with-wxdir=/usr/local/bin

  to pick up the new location of wx.

  Best wishes,

  Peter.