[ptx] Hugin under OS X problems

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Mon Apr 17 08:00:50 BST 2006

Ed, Rick,

I appreciate you both took the time to write the postings. One thing
that is clear to me is that I need to learn the math behind the
creation of the panoramas. Would anybody recommend articles or
textbooks to do so?

 Rik> The situation that I hear is this: The subject is a flat surface, the
 Rik> lens is rectilinear, and the camera moves between shots.  It's probably
 Rik> pointed in slightly different directions too, and at different distances
 Rik> from the subject surface.

I am more less following this method. The subject is a mural, and it
was just too wide. If I shot from the other side of the street I would
not get the detail I wanted (plus objects in between), and if I shot
it all from one point the edges would have been too small. That is why
I shifted at each photo.

The lens I am using is a Canon EF 100 2.8 USM macro. This test
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_100_28/index.htm shows
that its distortion is negligible.

I am setting a different "lens" for each photo, a,b,c=0 for all
photos, and trying to optimize FOV in all and d,e in all but anchor. I
have also added several horizontal control lines. But I have not been
able to get hugin to cooperate yet :)

I was following this tutorial:

http://www.dojoe.net/tutorials/linear-pano/

--
Daniel M. German                  "Technology now more often
                                   arouses apocalyptic ecstasies