[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] PTmender, and update

pablo.dangelo at informatik.uni-ulm.de pablo.dangelo at informatik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Apr 10 10:29:01 BST 2006

Daniel M. German <dmgerman at uvic.ca> wrote:
>  Pablo d'Angelo twisted the bytes to say:
>

> Thanks Pablo. One thing I have not done yet is the feathering. I'll
> take a look at nona to see how it is being performed.

Nona doesn't do any feathering, but I think the algorithm could be modified to
do some.

Also, enblend 2.5 contains an optimized version of the seam creation
algorithm, so it would be good to look there.

But actually, it would be desirable to have a much more sophisticated seam
generation mechanism, like
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/photomontage/ available as opensource.
Right now smartblend does something remotely similar (although not as foolprove
and nice as in the paper above).

The code for the photomontage system is available, as well as a standalone
program to blend images.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ptx/3560/focus=3560

Unfortunately it relies on the graph cut optimisation routines which are not
released under the GPL. One would have to reimplement these, or look for an
alternative implementation. Additionally it is a bit slow, and the gradient
domain blending used by it has created some artifacts in the example I have
tried.

> Today I finished TIFF flattening and JPEG/PNG generation. I'll upload
> the changes tomorrow.

How do you create the boundary between the images. I don't know the algorithm
used by PTStitcher for that.

> Could anybody explain me what are the following output formats:
>
> WTVR
> PAN
> IVR
> IVR_java
> VRML
>
> They are not supported (yet), and I am not sure if I should implement
> them.

Probably nobody uses these ones. I would give these a very low priority.

> 16 bit PSD  seems to be out of the question. We need some legal
> agreements with Adobe and that complicates matters.

Hmm. well thats bad (not for me, but for all the photoshop users out there...).
Is the agreement required for getting documents about the file format, or has
Adobe patented the file format?