[ptx] re: resolution/size of panoramas

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 22:24:02 BST 2005

On 9/24/05, paul vincent farrell <paviworld at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've experimented with this one but can't work it out
> - I wonder what the "size reduction for autopano-sift"
> box in sift-helper actually does - if I start with 4
> images (say) 3000x2000 and use the default of 1600
> here, am I reducing the panorama size from the
> expected 3000x8000 down to 1600 (i.e. losing a lot of
> image data), and then later in Hugin if I choose
> "calculate optimal size" or manually enter 8000, am I
> then only interpolating to a larger size?

No.

By setting the size reduction for autopano-sift, you are simply
downsampling the images that autopano-sift works with, so that it can
work faster to create the control points. It has no effect on the
actual images that you are working with.

And to correct your overlap, the only way you could get a 3000x8000
panorama from four 3000x2000 pictures is if there is no overlap, which
won't actually work because if there's no overlap, there's nothing for
hugin to stitch together. Just hit the "calculate optimal size" button
and that will set it to the proper size so that the images aren't
scaled up nor down.

--
Urban Artography
http://artography.ath.cx