[ptx] Autopano-sift installation problems....

paul vincent farrell paviworld at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 04:36:23 BST 2005

Hi,

This is my first post here, wonder if anyone can help
a new user...

I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to get autopano-sift
onto my system (iMac G4, OS 10.3.9).

I've been following the instructions that came with
Hugin
(version HuginOSX-05snap20050614.zip)

So the Hugin instructions say:
"1. You need to install .Net environment called Mono.
You can get its Framework installer package from
<http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads>."
I did this, ran the installer, and no error messages
appeared so I assumed all is installed correctly

2. Download Autopano-SIFT compiled for Mono
environment from the author's homepage  and read its
readme and license files.
3. If you'd like to try the method which is easier but
may not work: please use PutAutopanoSiftToHuginOSX
program comes with HuginOSX to put the relevant files
into HuginOSX's application package. That's all. If
this did not work, you can try the next method.

Well, it didn't work.  After downloading Autopano-sift
2.3, and running the Hugin script, I got a small
window with the message:
"this feature is not currently supported" doesn't
understand the <<event sysodisA>> message.

So the next Hugin instructions:

4. We have to set up autopano-complete.sh comes with
Autopano-SIFT. First, set AUTOPANO_PATH variable so
that the script can find the .Net executables where
ever the current path is. If you place the script and
the executables in the same directory, `dirname "$0"`
may work. Next, you need to replace every occurrence
of "generatekeys.exe" with "generatekeys-sd.exe". Now
the script should be ready. Launch the Terminal and
try out the script. Typical usage would be
"./autopano-complete.sh -o project.pto image1 image2"
(-h option gives you the arguments you can use, but
please note the long format with -- is not available
on Mac and other BSD systems).

Now, being a non-unix user, I have no idea what these
actually mean - setting variables, where to find .Net
executables, replacing bits & pieces etc.

So here is where I'm stuck and don't know where to go
from here.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated....are there
instructions for a unix dummy like me anywhere,
something explaining everything in step-by-step
detail?  I'm afraid of just "trying" stuff if I'm not
exactly sure what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance........

Pavi