[ptx] libpano12 ver 2.7.0.11

Jim Watters jwatters at photocreations.ca
Sat Oct 22 05:29:04 BST 2005

Newsworthy changes in 2.7.0.11
------------------------------
Do not process unchanged color channels for CA correction.
Correctly open BMP files created with rows in reverse order.
Added antialiasing filters.
Added support for 32bit float files ( but not with PTStitcher)

I have committed the above changes to to SourceForge.  More details
below.  I have only built on 32bit Windows so test on other platforms.

Robart Pratt's - Do not process unchanged color channels for CA correction.

    Lets consider a,b,c,d radial correction parameters for colors RGB.

    If R==G==B, then clearly we can do the transform for all 3 colors at
    the same time. This is unchanged.

    If R!=G, G!=B, R!=B, then we clearly need to run the transform 3
    times: once for each color. This is also unchanged.

    However, for CA correction, it may be enough to change the
    parameters of just 1 color to be different rom the other 2 channels.
    This gives several cases:

    - 2 of the 3 color channels have a,b,c,d == {0,0,0,1}. That is,
    there is NO CHANGE to those two color channels AT ALL. The 3rd color
    channel has a,b,c,d != {0,0,0,1}, and therefore requires remapping.
    In this case, we only need to run the transform ONCE to remap the
    one channel.

    - 2 of the 3 color channels have the exact same a,b,c,d parameters,
    and the 3rd channel has a,b,c,d == {0,0,0,1}. Again, we can run the
    transform just once, transforming the two identical colors
    simultaneously. The 3rd channel has no change at all.

    A more common case is when we are removing
    barrel/pincushion/mustache distortion at the same time as CA:
    - none of the 3 channels have a,b,c,d=={0,0,01}, however 2 of the 3
    color channels have the exact same a,b,c,d paras. The third channel
    as different a,b,c,d paras. In this case we need to do just 2
    transformations: once to transform two colors exactly the same, once
    to transform the 3rd (different) color.

Thomas Rauscher,s antialiasing filters.
http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch/

    Antialiasing filters now support 8, 16 and 32!!! bit and filters for
    different color channels. I tried some improvements (cached filter
    values...), but they all messed up the code, and didn't make it much
    faster (~3%) so I kept the original code. I also added a list of all
    filters to the "QueryFeatures".

    Maybe I have some ideas in the future, but for now I think the
    filters are ready to be released!

Thomas Rauscher,s 32bit float.
http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch/

    I also patched the tiff.c to support 32bit float files within the
    PanoTools. The major problem is, that no other software can use
    this!  It would be also hard to modify the old filters, to match the
    32bit format. I am not sure, if this make sense. It looks like, that
    PTStitcher has the memory allocation hard coded, because it always
    crashes, when I try to use it. Pano2QTVR works fine without
    modifications, so I think PTStitcher is the problem. Also PTGui
    doesn't use the pano12.dll any more, so this is also not an
    improvement.

queryfeature has been updated to reflect above additions/changes.  Also
added NumPanoTypes and PanoType# to return the number of types of output
formats that panotools supports and their names  to allow current apps
to use future formats.

--

  Jim Watters

  Graphic Software Developer