New XRC files for Stitcher Panel (Was: Re: [ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5)

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Tue May 31 18:55:24 BST 2005

Can I make a suggestion?

I have just checked out the CVS and realised the xrc file is already
committed thus making HuginOSX GUI awful... Looking at the xrc
source, I realised this is a huge change. Too big before 0.5. Even
after once looked ok with GTK, we need to make sure with MSW, and
then Mac. It takes ages.

Why can't we divide the tree and work on the big change for xrc files
towards 0.5.1 or so?
0.5 was almost there. We could make small changes in how they are
grouped, but nothing more.

Here is a mock up that goes well with the current interface. (This is
a mock up, but simulating wx's sizer layout rather than osx's HI
guidelines. Group names are not really aculate anymore; we should
change them if possible.)
http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/.Public/
huginTemporaryDesignFor05Release.jpg

We can make this kind of change to conother panels as well. For 0.5,
we should concentrate on improving existing basis, not creating all
new shiny(?) interface. It is easier for all if we design new things
in a different source tree and goal from 0.5 (If we do not make big
change in the actual source, then it's not hard to merge them
afterwards anyway.)

Here is a set of suggestions which should be easy enough for soon to
be released 0.5, but still addresses the confusing grouping issue.

- In Camera and Lens, stop grouping everything into the group called
Camera and Lens Information. (Unnecessary.)
- In Control Points tab, put Zoom, Fine-tune button, three auto-
checkboxes, and add button out of Control points group. (Just making
the group smaller leaving controls concerning the above editor area
not grouped.)
- In Optimization panel, stop grouping the Quick Optimizer group.
(Unnecessary; non-"quick" custom optimization stays inside the
"quick" group.)
- In Stitcher panel, interpolator should be outside nona and
PTStitcher panels. They both have the identical implementation. This
involves changing the source code, but it seems the concerning
function do not use any private variables of those panels.
- See the above mock up for my suggestion for Stitcher panel.

Thanks,
Ippei

--
   My general MSN, AIM, and E-Mail: ippei_ukai at mac.com