New XRC files for Stitcher Panel (Was: Re: [ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5)

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:08:16 BST 2005

On 5/29/05, douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Here is a first step towards your prototype. It is still a bit rough but at
> least it should give you an idea of how close we can get without modifying the
> current code base. Drop the files inside the zip into the xrc directory, fire
> up hugin and tell me what you think.

I think this is a huge step in the right direction.

Some problems though:

1. spacing is bad in general. the widgets shouldn't be flush with the
top and left of the tab area. There should be some margin there. Also,
if I understand the HIG correctly, there should be 6px of vertical
space between each line of widgets, 12px of horizontal space between
widgets (eg, between the horizontal/vertical field of view widgets and
the "calculate field of view" button). 20px of vertical space between
the last widget and a group and the label for the next group, and the
labels on the widgets should be indented 12px from the label on the
group (eg "Width" indented 12px from the "Image" label).

2. there's this enourmous space between all the widgets clumped up in
the top left and the "stitch now" button all alone in the bottom
right. I'm not sure exactly what do do about that but it should be
brought closer somehow

3. "use custom settings" dropdown list stretches all the way across
and nothing else does

4. the "interpolator" dropdown list seems to be missing a row or two
of pixels off the top, like they got covered up by something.

5. image width/height should be spinboxes just like fov
horizontal/vertical are.

6. the two "calculate..." buttons really do make a lot more sense as
"best fit" buttons.

7. the alignment of the widgets should line up between each section.

Here's a really nitpicky screenshot for you ;)

http://artography.ath.cx/hugin-corrections.png

> Or use them as a base for a new prototype. The XML should also be a little
> clearer than previously :-) I wrote them originally in xrced and then just
> tweaked a little by hand for readability.

I'll have to play with XRCed. I had tried to use wxGlade for a little
bit, but I couldn't figure out how to even open the XRC files with it
(it was complaining that the root of the xml tree needed to be
"Application" or something weird). I tried to use wxGlade to recreate
my mockup that I'd originally made with Glade, and I was not at all
impressed because I couldn't even find the wx equivalent to the
GtkFrame widget.

Gotta run to work right away though, don't have time to look into this
some more. Maybe when I get home, or earlier tomorrow.

--
Urban Artography
http://artography.ath.cx