[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 29 11:15:08 BST 2005

--- Rob Park <rbpark at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> This is making me giddy with excitement ;)
>
> What if we took my idea, and extracted all the hugin internals into
> external, standalone programs that took commandline switches and such.
> Then we could easily make a simple frontend GUI that could easily
> implement this "quality profiles" idea, and the profiles would store
> settings for all enblend, autopano-sift, nona, all at once.

Hugin is already a frontend for external standalone tools isn't it? :-)

What we don't have however, is a set of presets that cover _all_ the stages of
the workflow, but on the other hand most of the capabilities already exist and
I am not sure that global presets make complete sense (I'm open to arguments
for it though).

You can already specify the number of control points to create on the images
tab. Adding more standard points at a later stage normally is not necessary
(although horizontal and vertical points may well be).

The preview window already works at a reduced resolution/accuracy for speed
during draft work and there are presets for the rest during the stitching
stage.

The only thing not covered by the presets from the list below is the number of
levels in enblend (and that could well be added).

> So you
> could say draft quality, and it would automatically choose to disable
> refinement in autopano-sift, choose a smaller number of levels in
> enblend, make the output to be scaled down a bit, use a faster/lower
> quality interpolator in nona, etc. You could do that while working on
> it, and then then when you're done, pick the "high quality" preset and
> have it do the highest quality interpolator, maximum resolution, TIFF
> output, lots of levels in enblend, etc etc etc. That'd be very, very
> nice.
>
> ;)

Have I missed anything? :-)

regards,