[ptx] Re: Problems with Autopano-Sift and Mono on OS X

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Fri May 27 13:17:03 BST 2005

Aargh! Yet another thing that has been broken by QuickTime 7!

I found a post on the Mono-OS X list
<http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-osx/2005-May/000185.html>
which seems to be relevant:
> Hello,
>
>     Third attempt, this time I figured out why libgdiplus got broken:
> turns out that if you install QuickTime 7 (which we did as part of our
> `click yes to all updates that software update recommends you update'),
> it blindly removes the CarbonSound.h header file which means that any
> app that requires Carbon.h breaks.
>
>      I did not catch that, because libgdiplus merely "probes", so it is
> happy to go ahead and drop support for Carbon in this case.  Maybe we
> should rectify this, and if the --enable-quartz flag is passed, then
> abort if we do not find a usable quartz to avoid these problems

As each QT update tends to break bits of my workflow the main work
computer is still on QT 6.5.2, and my laptop with QT 7 on it is in for
repairs so that explains why there are no problems at this end. If you
are on Tiger it looks like you will have to wait for the next OS X
build of Mono as there is no way of downgrading Tiger to QT < 7.

Later today I'll boot up from an external disk with QT 7 installed and
double-check that this is the problem.

Ian