[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Jim Watters jwatters at photocreations.ca
Fri May 27 00:06:08 BST 2005

I prefer 6 over 5.  The layout is more readable.  The only thing I would
change is to right justify the labels of horizontal, vertical and so
forth down to compression.  I believe this is standard HCI for Mac but
Windows is left justified.  Regardless I find it easier on the eyes with
the labels right justified.

Tijmen wrote:

>On Thursday 26 May 2005 11:00, douglas wilkins wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I've read (and looked at) all of your suggestions and I must admit that I
>>like new6 more than what we have now. There is unfortunately a "but" :-)
>>
>>But, the options "Interpolator", "Format" and "compression" are all
>>functions of the stitching engine and as such, belong together. If you
>>look at pano_panel-2.5.xrc and the nested nona_panel.xrc you'll see what I
>>mean.
>>

>I don't agree. Technically they are functions of the stitching engine, but to
>the user, Image size, format and compression are all parameters of the output
>(of the image) while the Interpolator is more of a technical setting,
>belonging to the stitcher.
>
>Technically there is no need to put parameters that belong to the same thing
>together. This is a fault made in many UI's.

I have to agree that GUI must be separated from the application layer.
But saying that, depending on the engine there will be separate
functions that are available.  Currently Hugin does not have a setting
for color correcting images but that will only be available if
PTStitcher is chosen.  There is no saying what new things that may be
added to Nona.   No control should effect values or control above it, so
the choice of stitch should be near the top of the list and I believe a
separate item.

>>Post 0.5 this will not change. PTStitcher obviously will not get new
>>interpolator options but nona may well, and we need to keep the panels
>>separate to facilitate this.
>>

>Can anyone explain me (or point me a link to) the several components being
>used and how they work together? Why won't PTStitcher get new interpolator
>options?

Interpolator are handled by libpano12, and I don't believe that
PTStitcher would stop new interpolators from being passed to libpano12
to be processed if libpano12 could handle them.  But, there may be other
things that PTStitcher can not do.

Depending on the Format that is selected there are different settings:
Jpeg has a choice of progressing.  Others have a choice of feathering.

I am not sure of the purpose of "Use the custom settings above:" except,
may be to save different settings as presets.  If this is the case, then
I would put this back to the top.  Change it to something like "current
settings" or "my saved settings" and a button to save new or modified
settings and a button to delete existing settings.  The reason to put it
to the top is, a change in this drop down will effect all other
controls.  Changing a control should not change any values or controls
above it.

--

 Jim Watters

 Graphic Software Developer